Canada is a Top Destination for Students Worldwide.

Canada has become an attractive destination for international students, and the reasons are many. Students receive a high-quality education, Canadian work experience after graduation, and the ability to transition to permanent residence (under programs, like the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) program, which allows Canadian educated foreign students to be absorbed into the Canadian workforce).

All foreign students in Canada require a study visa and permit to study at a designated learning institute. Studying in Canada is less complex when you work with our experienced consultants at Wisa.

For some students, it is their first time away from home and the culture shock can be dramatic. Not only is Canadian culture different (but famously friendly) the climate is also different. At Wisa, we help point you to specific resources to ensure your study application is ready and that you are ready too – whether that means understanding what clothes to bring, getting help with IELTS training or making career choices.

So, if the idea of a foreign education sounds appealing to you, then you are in the right place. At Wisa, our processes are transparent and we provide hands on support to guide you. 

To enable your study in Canada, you require a study permit. Learn more below.

What is a Study Permit?

Every year, thousands of students come to study in Canada. In order to do so, they must obtain a study permit issued by the Canadian government. This permit is a type of Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) which allows students to study in Canada for a temporary period of time, and typically indicates the educational institution they are attending and course of study. To qualify, an applicant must fit a certain set of requirements.

Study Permit Requirements

Step 1

The first step to studying in Canada is to decide what Designated Learning Institution (DLI) you wish to study at, and which program you wish to study.

Step 2

After applying for your desired program, you will receive a letter of acceptance from your DLI.
that they can work for any employer in Canada while you study.

Step 3

You will then be required to submit an application to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) in order to obtain a study permit. To submit your application, you will need the letter of acceptance from the DLI and prove that you have enough money to pay for your tuition for the first year. You are also required to prove that you have no criminal record and be in good health.
If you wish, you may also include your family members in the application, so that they, too, will join you in Canada. Your spouse may be able to obtain an open work permit so that they can work for any employer in Canada while you study.

What is the Application Process for a Canadian Study Permit?

The 4 Stages to Obtaining a Canadian Study Permit:

1. Check Your Eligibility

For eligibility, you will need:
an acceptance letter from a DLI, proof of financial support, and supporting documents (varies depending on your countries of citizenship and residence)

2. Prepare Your Application

If you meet all eligibility requirements then you can start to prepare your study permit application. Make sure that you have gathered all documents required for your country. If you don’t show that you meet the requirements, an immigration officer may reject your application. It is a good idea to have a qualified immigration representative review your application before you submit it.

3. Submit Your Study Permit Application

You have two options when submitting your application:

  • Submit an electronic application | Create an account on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website. You can submit an application electronically using scanned or electronic copies of documents.
  • Submit a paper-based application | Gather hard copies of your documents and mail them to the Visa Application Centre (VAC) assigned to your country.

4. Approved? Come to Canada!

You do not receive your Canadian study permit until you arrive at a Canadian Port of Entry (POE). If your permit is approved, the Canadian government will issue you a Port of Entry Introduction Letter. You must show this letter to the immigration official when you arrive in Canada to get your study permit.