The rationale for moving abroad differs from person to person but the primary motive to migrate maybe attributed to employment, studies, a better quality of life or just to expand one’s horizons. Migration has become a common occurrence in recent times with more people moving away from their country and settling down abroad. The benefits of migrating to another country often outweighs the disadvantages as it offers the opportunity to live in a new environment, meet new people ,experience a different culture or professional development and personal growth.

Every year, thousands of people seek to migrate abroad and require guidance with this ambition. At Wisa, we aim to help achieve this goal with our knowledge, expertise and experience in global immigration practice. We help our clients discover viable options to make informed decisions by first understanding your preferences, then identifying the immigration program that offers you the highest success rate and then help you with the migration process.

A lot of people can apply for Express Entry and become Canadian Permanent Residents. Express Entry is the fastest and most popular pathway for newcomers seeking a new life in Canada. This new system allows Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) to proactively assess, recruit and select immigrants who are skilled and/or possess the relevant qualifications under federal economic immigration programs:

The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) was developed as a part of Canada’s immigration strategy, wherein permanent residents are selected based on their ability to become economically established in Canada.

Applicants who wish to come to Canada under the Federal Skilled Workers Program must meet the Program’s minimum requirements. Applicants are reviewed against the following six selection factors:

i. Work Experience

Maximum 15 Points

You can get points for the number of years you have spent doing full-time paid work (at least 30 hours per week, or an equal amount of part-time [15 hours per week for 24 months]) at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2016 National Occupational Classification.

Experience Maximum 15 Points
1 year 9
2-3 years 11
4-5 years 13
6 or more years 15

ii. Education

Maximum 25 Points

You must have a certificate, diploma, or degree from a Canadian institution If you went to school in Canada, however if you have foreign education, you must have an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from a designated organization showing that your education is equal to education obtained in Canada.

Education Points
Doctoral (PHD) level or equivalent 25
University degree at master’s level or entry -to practice professional degree 23
Two or more Canadian post secondary degree or diploma or its equivalent (at least one must be for a program of at least three years) 22
Canadian post secondary degree or diploma for a program of three years or longer or its equivalent 21
Canadian post secondary degree or diploma for a program of two-years or its equivalent 19
Canadian post secondary degree or diploma for a program of one year or its equivalent 15
Canadian high school diploma or its equivalent 5

iii. Language Proficiency

Maximum 28 Points

There is a mandatory language requirement of English language or French and in some cases a combination of both languages to achieve a maximum of 28 points. Language proficiency examination such as IELTS and CELPIP for English and TEF for French.
You must get a minimum level of CLB 7 or NCLC 7 for 1 official language in all 4 language areas. To get points for the second official language, you must meet the minimum level of CLB 5 or NCLC 5 in all 4 language areas.

First Official Language (Maximum 24 Points)
CLB LEVEL Speaking                              Listening Reading Writing
CLB level 9 or higher 


6 6 6 6
CLB level 8     


5        5 5 5
CLB level 7     


4        4 4 4
Below CLB level 7 Not eligible to apply Not eligible to apply Not eligible to apply Not eligible to apply
Second Official Language (Maximum 4 Points)
At least CLB 5 in all 4 abilities 4
CLB 4 or less in any of the 4 abilities         



You can get 4 points only if you have a score of at least CLB 5 in each of the 4 language abilities.

iv. Age

Maximum 12 points

You will be appointed points based on your age on the day you submit your application.

Age Points
Under 18 0
18-35 12
36 11
37 10
38 9
39 8
40 7
41 6
42 5
43 4
44 3
45 2
46 1
47 and older 0

v. Arranged employment

Maximum 10 Points

Canada allocates additional points to candidates who have been offered a valid and full-time job offer. Applicants can get points if they have a job offer for a continuous, paid, full-time work (minimum of 30 hours/week) in an occupation listed as Skill Type 0 or Skill Level A or B of the NOC for at least 1 year from a Canadian employer. This is considered as being self-sufficient by the government.

vi. Adaptability

Maximum 10 points

A maximum of 10 points is allocated depending on the circumstances of each applicant. You and your spouse may combine any of the elements below. These elements assess how well you and your spouse are likely to settle in Canada.

Adaptability Points
Your spouse or partner’s language level

Your spouse or common-law partner has a language level in either English or French at CLB 4 level or higher in all 4 language abilities (speaking, listening, reading and writing).



Your past studies in Canada

You completed at least 2 academic years of full-time study of at least 15 hours of classes per week (in a program at least 2 years long) at a secondary or post-secondary school in Canada.



Your spouse or partner’s past studies in Canada

Your spouse or common-law partner completed at least 2 academic years of full-time study (in a program at least 2 years long) at a secondary or post-secondary school in Canada.



Your past work in Canada

You did at least 1 year of full-time work in Canada:

In a job listed in Skill Type 0 or Skill Levels A or B of the National Occupational Classification (NOC).

And, with a valid work permit, or while authorized to work in Canada.



Your spouse or common-law partner’s past work in Canada

Your spouse or partner did at least 1 year of full-time work in Canada on a valid work permit or while authorized to work in Canada.



Arranged employment in Canada

You earned points for having arranged employment.



Relatives in Canada

You, or your spouse or common-law partner, have a relative who is:

  • living in Canada
  • 18 years or older and
  • a Canadian citizen or permanent resident

This relative must be a:

  • parent
  • grandparent
  • child
  • grandchild
  • your or your spouse’s sibling
  • your or your spouse’s aunt or uncle (by blood or marriage)
  • your or your spouse’s niece or nephew


To be eligible for a permanent resident visa under the FSWP, applicants must meet the minimum number of points required of a skilled worker . This is currently 67 points out of 100 points.
>Try our free eligibility calculator <

The FSTP is for people who are qualified and willing to take up skilled trade jobs in Canada. Applicants skilled in trades can migrate through this program.
To be eligible, you must meet the following requirements:

  • meet Canadian Language Benchmark 5 for speaking and listening, and 4 for reading and writing
  • have at least 2 years of full-time paid work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within the 5 years before you apply
  • meet the job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification
  • have a valid job offer of full-time employment for at least 1 year or
  • certificate of qualification issued by a Canadian provincial, territorial or federal authority
  • no education required, but you can provide your educational qualification to improve your rank in the Express Entry pool
  • must be admissible to Canada.
  • must plan to live outside the province of Quebec

The Canadian Experience Class is for skilled workers who have Canadian work experience and want to become permanent residents. Temporary foreign workers and/or foreign students who graduated in Canada can often make the successful transition to permanent residence; their familiarity with Canadian society and the ability to contribute to the Canadian economy makes this easier. There are advantages for people within this class as they have built up at least one year of Canadian work experience which gives them additional points in the CRS ranking. Also, they are not required to show proof of funds, and their application may be faster than others in the pool because it is faster to evaluate and confirm their work experience or school qualification having obtained them in Canada.

Canadian Express Class applications are managed under the Express Entry System. Applicants expressing an interest to immigrate to Canada must complete an online Express Entry profile. Potential applicants who are deemed to have met the eligibility criteria are then entered into a pool with other eligible candidates. If selected by IRCC from the express entry pool, the candidate will receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) and will have to submit a full application within 90 days.

To meet the minimum requirements to apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class, applicants must:

  • plan to live outside the province of Quebec;
  • have one year of full time (or part-time equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before you apply, and the work experience must be full-time, or an equal amount in part-time
  • have gained work experience by working in Canada while under temporary resident status with authorization to work
  • meet the required language levels needed for each language ability (writing, reading, listening & speaking)
  • must not be inadmissible in Canada

According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), skilled work experience means:

  • managerial jobs (skill level 0)
  • professional jobs (skill type A)
  • technical jobs and skilled trades (skill type B)

Your work experience can be in 1 or more NOC 0, A or B jobs. You must show that you performed the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC. This includes all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed. Your application will be assessed on two requirements if you apply as a temporary foreign worker:

  • your work experience; and
  • your ability in English or French.

One of the benefits of the Canadian Experience Class Immigration Program is that applicants may remain in Canada throughout the application process. In cases where an applicant is working in Canada on a work permit that will expire before their CEC application is processed, they may be eligible for a bridging open work permit which allows such applicants to remain in Canada and work during the processing of their application.

Applicants who qualify under this program but are no longer in Canada are also allowed to submit their application so long as it is within three years of leaving their job in Canada. Self-employment, work experience gained as a full- time student (co-op work)or work performed in an unpaid internship capacity does not count towards the minimum requirements for this program. Work experience must be gained after graduation and on a valid work permit.

The Express Entry program also allows individual provinces and territories to use the system in order to recruit suitable candidates as part of the Provincial Nominee Programs so that labour market demands are met. There are a total of ten (10) provinces and three (3) territories in Canada. No two provinces in Canada are alike. Each has its own peculiar immigration programs that serve as a pathway to Canada for foreign nationals; in addition to the federal-level immigration programs.

These are known as Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP). The PNP programs were established to allow each province to attract the kind of skills needed to take its economy forward and benefit both new immigrants and the provinces or territories. For a person with the right skills, a PNP program can be a faster way to come to Canada, especially if the province is a great fit for the dreams you have of living in Canada. As the world’s second-largest country, the regions within Canada are quite unique and different from each other. Each province’s PNP processing time and eligibility criteria vary.

At Wisa, we help determine how long your application might take once we know more about you and what province or territory you’re interested in. Plus, we help you identify the best options to immigrate to and make recommendations based on your individual objectives.

WISA can help make your dreams of living and working in Canada a reality. Take a quick assessment and chat with our consultants to know if you qualify.

We know the A-Z of Canadian migration.
Take the right steps with us. Chat with an expert today!